Friday, February 11, 2011

Breckenridge - Day 2


We were so excited to wake up and see everything that morning! After bundling up, we hit The Columbine Cafe for breakfast. So good! It was cozy, home cooking. We shared a hot cinnamon roll, and Joey had biscuits and gravy and grits, and of course I went with a pancake. Which was plate-sized. I believed I had finally reached heaven! The Vanilla coffee was delicious, and it was so warm in that restaurant that we were tempted to stay longer.

But, adventure awaited. We decided to take the Gondola up to Peak 8 to hang out in the restaurant/bar up there. That was my favorite part of the whole trip I'd have to say. It was perfection. Everything was covered in snow, like there were no flaws, no dirt, no grime on anything. And the quiet was profound. I had never thought of "communing with nature" before, but one could definitely have a real discussion with it in a place like that.

I loved watching all the skiers and snowboarders once we got to the top. Mostly, I enjoy watching them bust. Actually, I take that back. I mostly enjoyed watching the skiing toddlers whiz by the uncoordinated adults. (Which, surprisingly were few and far between.) It seemed to be a lifestyle thing, like all those people were on the mountain every weekend. And judging from how many times we heard, "the powder is AWESOME" Breckenridge is the place to be.

After watching carefully for a table to open up, we grabbed one and enjoyed an adult beverage. (The coffee and Bailey's Caramel was especially tasty!) We hung out there for quite a while, and everyone seemed pretty friendly but quite LOUD. I guess when skiing meets alcohol that's what you get. :)

We rode the gondola back down the mountain, where we discovered Mary's Mountain Cookies. Umm... rocked my world. Delicious cookies to begin with, then they either sandwich them with amazing frosting, or dunk them in milk or white chocolate. Good thing they were buy 6, get 2 free!!

We did some souvenir shopping in the adorable little shops on Main Street. We saw the perfect t-shirt for Reilly, it was a shirt that had a moose made to look like the Batman emblem. And we got sweet little Avery a pink fleece jacket. I got a couple of hats and a really cute shirt. Thanks Joey!!!

There was a Snow Sculpture competition happening in town that week, so we checked those out. Really incredible. Joey's favorite was the "Jack London- White Fang" inspired sculpture. I was partial to the Medusa. It really turned frigid cold, with a bitter wind while we were at the sculptures. So, we headed across the street to have dinner at Giampietro Pizzeria. Super good garlic cheese bread, marinara sauce, and pepperoni pizza.

We strolled back to our condo in the snow, and cuddled up next to a warm fire. Day 2 = Perfection.

No comments: