For the course of about 2 weeks, every night I would see a rather large gecko on the outside of my kitchen window. At first, there was the typical gasping, squealing, and cringing. But after that first couple of times I saw him, I became curious... and then expectant. It's silly, but I began to look forward to seeing him every night while I fed Avery her dinner. I would even greet him with a friendly "Hey friend gecko... hope the moths are tasty tonight." He was a rather impressive specimen, for a gecko. The largest one I've ever seen, so I felt confident that he was wily enough to survive in the wild kingdom that is my backyard for quite some time.
Then one night he didn't show up. Then another night. My concern turned to worry, then quickly turned to fear and dread. A week went by and I was imagining what sort of ghastly end he must have met... what beastly creature could have swallowed him up. Joey even went outside with a flashlight to search for my long lost friend, to no avail. Sweet Joey even tried to convince me that friend gecko must have found a much better window to lie in wait for his prey. Yeah, but I knew better. He was just trying to make me feel better.
Then tonight, as I was preparing Avery's dinner, perched on the window was my tiny friend!!! At first I didn't believe my eyes, but then I focused on his creepy little feet, and KNEW it was him. I was E C S T A T I C . All was right with the world once more.
Here he is... in all his glory.



No comments:
Post a Comment