Sunday, January 23, 2011

Commit to Memory



I always think that I'm going to remember each and every precious thing my small ones do. But the truth is, as time marches on... the memories fade and become fuzzy in my memory. I am forced to rely on pictures I've taken, and am so thankful for the anecdotes that I've jotted down in my journals to remind me of their sweetest moments.

But here are some things that I'm going to MAKE myself remember. Things I just couldn't bear to become fuzzy in my memory.



Storytime...
Before each and every naptime and bedtime, I have read to both of my babies. Lately for Avery, there is Fancy Nancy and ONLY Fancy Nancy. She especially loves this "tiny Fancy Fancy" book, "Pajama Day".



And with Reilly, now he is the one reading to me. I can't fully express how strange and wonderful that is.


Pigtails, Dolls, and Footie Pajamas






Is there anything sweeter than a baby in footie pajamas???
I think not.



Her Hair...

I remember so vividly, brushing the hair of all of my dolls when I was a child. (And much later than that, truth be told.) I could pretend so easily that those dolls were real. And I remember daydreaming about what the little girl I just knew I would have someday- would look like. I have looked forward to doing this forever. It brings such joy to my heart that Avery's hair is long enough for this!!!




It's also bittersweet, because I see how much her hair looks like my sister Melissa's did. Having children has made me miss her even more, because no one understood and enjoyed children more than she did. And my children would have been over the moon for her. I'm so thankful for the "Melissa faces" that she sometimes makes.



The things I imagined myself doing with the son I knew I would have, and now cherish doing with Reilly are things like playing with cars and shooting guns...




but I never imagined things like this:


He has discovered Beyblade metal fusion. (Which is essentially just spinning tops.) And I don't think he's ever liked anything more. I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to be on his birthday wish list. :)


I thank God for the blessing of growing up in a nurturing family, one that would perfectly prepare me to be exactly the Mother these precious ones would need. I had an amazing example to learn from...


I'm not pretending that I'm perfect, or have much of a clue at all about this crazy adventure of raising children... but I am certain that God has equipped me for this task and I am honored, humbled, and awestruck by it's enormity and the fulfillment it brings. I pray for the strength, wisdom, patience, and courage to do this most challenging of jobs- to safeguard the hearts and minds of my charges with grace and godliness. Taking the precious memories of the sweetness of their baby days and toddler years, and keeping them close, so that I can do my best to keep from pinching their heads off as teenagers. ;) I pray this not only for myself, but for all the incredible women in the trenches with me!!!


No comments: