Monday, November 8, 2010

Last day in Maui



For our last morning in Maui, we spent a good deal of time just gazing out the window of our balcony- trying to commit every detail to memory. Of course, we had to have those amazing pancakes from Cane & Taro one last time. Then, we rented some snorkel gear from our hotel and walked down to Black Rock. We spent hours snorkeling... with sea turtles !!! They swam up so close to us, that we could have touched them !!! We just followed them around, and they didn't seem to mind. It was amazing! I'd say that the snorkeling at Black Rock was actually better than the world famous Molokini Crater we snorkeled at earlier in the week.

We were having such an amazing day, that we actually forgot that we were supposed to check out at 11. We actually forgot that we had to check out AT ALL - we wondered why our key didn't work when we had to go up to the room for some more sunscreen!! I took my key down to the front desk, and they told me that it was 2 p.m. and we were supposed to check out 3 HOURS ago! There were actually people in the lobby waiting for our room!! So in the span of 1 hour, we were able to shower, get ready, and pack all of our belongings! It was a whirlwind of crazy. We apologized profusely to the hotel staff, but they seemed pretty unfazed by it. I can imagine people lose track of time there more often than not. ;)

We were hungry after all that, so we headed to the Hula Grill for a delicious lunch. We shared a succulent Kalua Pork sandwich, and we ordered the best dessert! It was called Baked Hawaii. (Pineapple upside-down cake with Tahitian vanilla ice cream, topped with meringue and caramel rum sauce!) A-mazing!

Then, we strolled along the beach and said our goodbyes to the most beautiful place in the world. Before heading out for one last sunset dinner at Aloha Mixed Plate. Joey bought me another fresh flower lei, and the fragrance painted our whole night. We were so sad to leave, but really missed our babies and were ready to see them and give them their souvenirs! (a surf t-shirt for Reilly, T-shirts for them both that change color in the sun, shell necklaces, and a hawaiian dress just like mine for Avery!)

I asked Joey if he could describe Maui in just one word, and he said, "No, but I think I can manage 2... Creator's Masterpiece." I absolutely concur.
This really was the best time of our whole lives, and we'll never ever forget it.

No comments: