Day 4 began the adventurous leg of our vacation... with snorkeling at the world-famous Molokini Crater. (One of the most incredible snorkeling spots in the world!) We reported to the boat, The Four Winds, at 7 a.m. that morning. Breakfast was provided, and then we hit the open sea for the 1 hour sail to the Crater. I started feeling a little nauseated, (of course I would be the one to get sea sick.) I was given a ginger drink (and they called me a "sicky"... "Oh, we've got a sicky." funny.) The ginger was grrrrosss, but seemed to help a bit. We finally arrived at the Crater, and after some brief instruction, hit the water! It was COLD, but we jumped in with our rented underwater camera. We were so bummed that we actually missed the biggest stingray ever sighted by our crew, they just couldn't shut up about it! But, the fish were plentiful, we saw quite a few that we had studied at the Aquarium!
It was incredible, so quiet and calm. The breathing underwater thing was a little strange, but awesome. The time went by so quickly, we just lost track of it. After a couple of hours, lunch was served.... hamburgers. But who would ever bother with a burger when there were also delicious Kalua Pork sandwiches!??!! Joey did a little more snorkeling after that, while I lazed on the boat- more accurately, while I tried not to become sick on the boat. :/
On the hour sail back to the Marina, our Captain took us by "turtle town", and we got to see so many turtles!!!
Despite the nausea, it was an amazing, adventurous, memorable day! And I only heard the JAWS theme playing a couple of times while I was underwater!!! I was not born with that adrenaline junkie/adventure gene, so it was a big deal for me to do something like this! Joey was so proud of me, and so was I !!
After we got back to the Marina, we stopped at a local store so Joey could sample an authentic Hawaiian Shave Ice. (He got pineapple flavor, but wasn't that impressed. He would much rather have one from Bahama Buck's. Go figure.)
We rested until it was time for dinner. Brilliantly, we chose to return to Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina for yet another delicious beachside meal at Sunset. It was exquisite.
We wandered around the quaint little town, but encountered a suspicious looking character in the shadows who asked us if we would like some "herbal essence". Joey declined, and told the man that we brought our own shampoo. That's why I love him. Hilarious.
We stumbled upon the most amazing tree in the Town Square, a Banyan tree. Which stretched across an entire city block. The root system must have been mind-boggling! I'll let the pictures speak for that one. Oh, and I can't forget this little gem, while admiring that incredible tree- full of birds.... oh yes, I did get pooped on. The only time in my entire life that a bird has pooped on me. In Hawaii. Awesome. Luckily, there was a shopping area across the street with lots and lots and lots of soap.
We thoroughly enjoyed our nightly moonlit stroll along the beach, and wondered when we'd get to return. Actually, we seriously considered just staying there forever and having our children shipped to us!!!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment