Monday, June 22, 2009

Avery's Dedication

This past Sunday at our church, we dedicated Avery and promised to lovingly nurture, teach, and train her in Christ's Ways. Joey and I are excited to continue the legacy of faith instilled in us by our wonderful parents.


Raise up a child in the way that they should go and when they are old, they will not depart from it... Proverbs 22:6


AVERY ADISON .... her name means "wise counselor"

The special verse we've chosen for her is: Zephaniah 3:17. "The Lord your God is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

We chose this verse because we just liked the image of our Father that it evokes in our minds... not one of censure or wrath, but a picture of a loving, doting Father who actually sings over us!

The whole family was there for Avery's special day...

Mimi & Grandpa and Uncle Mike


Uncle Mike & Aunt Honey


and Granddad, Nana, & Aunt Lana


Me and my girl waiting to go onstage...


I was admittedly a little nervous about this event... specifically about how my children would behave on display for the entire congregation. I figured that Avery would cry at the sight of the pastor, since he is an unknown man to her. And Reilly, who is somewhat of a loose cannon in situations that require him to be quiet or still, and somewhat of a HAM in situations where any attention is focused on himself. Since sweet Reilly Bear can always be counted on for a laugh, I knew this would be... memorable. (And hopefully not humiliating.) ;)





Avery did great, she was just chillin. Watching calmly all her admirers and absorbing the spotlight. (Note the arm rolls and the peep toes.. fabulous.)


Reilly seemed calm until he caught a glimpse of himself on the HUGE T.V. monitors behind us.


We then kissed away all hopes of discretion.

He pointed and then began to DANCE, just to see how his rad moves might look on a screen so large. Indeed, they were impressive, but there is a time and a place. (Which apparently was HERE and NOW.)


What (I suppose) should have been embarassing, felt endearing to me. That boy just cracks me up... I loved that he made everyone laugh, and was just being himself up there. I'll remember it forever, not only because of Reilly's antics, but because of what we promised that day: To pour every single drop of ourselves into the care and admonition of our children. There is no greater adventure on earth.

No comments: