Friday, June 5, 2009

Curiosity & The Cat

This is a testament to that old saying about curiosity and the cat:

While I was chatting with my hairdresser today, I mentioned that later this afternoon I was going to get the good-old eyebrows waxed. She then mentioned that her salon offers "Eyebrow Threading" as a service, and actually recommended it to me. I had seen this done in the mall before, and was quite curious. (You know... out in the middle of the mall, where all the passers-by can point and stare while someone is being meticulously groomed in public.) It looks so harmless- I could hardly see how a tiny string could have any affect at all.

My curiosity got the best of me, and I agreed to give it a go. While I was waiting, I chatted with another lady (who I now realize must have been a facial paralytic) and she just raved about threading... that she would never shape her eyebrows any other way. So I waited patiently while watching the others go before me. Never could I have imagined what must have been seething under their serene expressions.

My turn began, and at first I was stunned. If I could describe the feeling, I would start with maybe... being popped with rubber bands in the eye, then perhaps the sensation of a knife actually slicing off my eyebrows, immediately followed by a red-hot poker being shoved into my eye socket. After a few minutes, and with profound relief, I realized it was over. Then, terror struck me when I remembered that God gave me 2 eyebrows. It's not like I'm new to this kind of discomfort, I've had my eyebrows waxed for years. And while waxing is slightly painful for an instant- burning hot wax would feel like a warm blanket compared to this strange, cruel torture.

After it was finally over, and the tears overflowed my eyes as I sat up, the ones waiting behind me with wary expressions disappeared almost instantaneously. My face must have been a sight to behold. Perhaps it said something like "Run... run for your very lives!"

So, for the love of all that is Holy, if you ever had the inkling to try this, PLEASE heed my warning and......... Don't.

Now... I'm gonna go put my face on ice.

No comments: